The Jewish Community resided in Venice since year 1000, but it was during 1516 that the Doge confined them within the ancient foundry area, by S. Girolamo, a derelict site because of the risk of accidental fires.
The first Jewish Community that lived by the new foundry island, “geto novo” according to Venetian dialect, turned the name into “ghetto”, a guttural word.
Over the years Venice’s ghetto had become a lively shopping place, a philosophical and religious retreat.
German, French, Italian, Spanish and Levantine communities inhabited this town’s quarter.
Any of them building, during XVI century, their own Synagogues (little masterpieces!) up to the decline of Venetian Republic in 1797.